You may have heard nervous chatter and a background hum from SEO agencies this year about the Core Web Vitals update to Google’s algorithm to be rolled out in mid-June. They had already released a major core update on June 3rd, and then to add to the fun, also stated that they were not able to get everything they wanted ready in time for that launch so they are releasing a further core update in July 2021. These updates are in addition to the CWV Update. Usually, Google rolls out between 2 and 4 major updates a year, so this is an unprecedented series of changes, leaving a lot of uncertainty in the SEO industry.
OK, So What Does This All Mean?
Generally, this will mean that there will be some volatility in the SERPs over the next couple of months. Some clients will see increases in the rank of their keywords; some will see drops. During the days and weeks following a Google core update, it is not unknown for top-ranking pages to temporarily disappear from the rankings, and poorly-optimised competitor pages to rise to page 1 of Google, although usually blips like this only last a few days. However, what we have learned time and time again, is that panicking and reacting to ranking volatility in the face of an algorithm update does not help but can rather hinder in the long run. Patience is needed and trust in the basic principles of optimisation and trust, as much as possible, that Google wants to serve relevant and high-quality content to searchers.
How Do We, As An Agency, Approach Google Core Updates?
We approach them cautiously and patiently and don’t panic. Some SEO companies will weep and mourn updates as Google conspiring against hardworking SEO operatives to ruin their lives and livelihoods! However, we see them as opportunities.
First, we continue with our timeless optimisations that align with Google’s core objective of providing the best experience when searching, knowing that when things settle down, our client’s websites are likely to rank higher because we’re working with Google, not against them. Google tend to look mainly at 3 things – relevance (so we align websites with popular search terms), popularity (e.g. does the website have great links from the right sources, and are people searching for the brand names on this website), and quality (is the content well-written, concise yet comprehensive, are the videos, images, calculators, and other rich content).
Next, as the dust settles, we examine the data and see what trends we can determine. Are eCommerce websites or websites on certain types of platforms ranking better now for various types of searches? If so, why might that be? Are blogs ranking better for other searches? Are fast-loading websites faring noticeably better now compared with slower websites? Are websites with a lot of backlinks faring better or worse now? Etc. Data needs examining with care, but normally we can start to pick out a few clear signals within a few weeks that tell us how Google’s ranking algorithm may have changed.
This begs the question: “Does UClimb believe that Google gets it right every time?” The short answer is: “No”. Google does not get it right every time. But invariably, they have proved that they will try to fix their less-than-successful ventures in a short space of time. This leads to the ‘aftershock’ effect, where Google starts to partially reverse changes within days or weeks of the initial big update, only to bring them back in a modified form a few days later.
We believe that if we continue to optimise upon core principles that do not change and also change what needs to be changed from a user experience and site speed perspective, we will be rewarded in the long run by Google as the sites we optimise won’t be reacting to algorithm changes, but rather, because core principles have been followed, the algorithm changes will favour our pages as stable and high-quality content.
How Can UClimb Help You Navigate This Latest Ranking Turbulence?
Are you wondering how to navigate the increasingly complex and rapidly changing Google ranking landscape? Do you need a reliable SEO consultant or SEO agency to give you advice as a coach in your corner?
We can help! With a team of experienced SEO operatives and consultants, we can formulate a game plan to give you the best odds to win the ranking race against competitors.
Our List of Services Includes:
- SEO Site Audits – We will go over your site from technical, user experience, conversion rate optimisation and search engine optimisation points of view and give you a report with recommended action.
- SEO Consultancy – If you wish to have your teamwork on the site in-house, we can be your trusted on-team consultants to guide the direction and also optimise content and hold discussions to maximise your teams’ efforts.
- Complete SEO Package – We will take time to understand your business and your industry, and research keywords that are important. We will also carry out an audit of your site and then work through the recommended actions once approved by your team.
- Website Builds or Re-Builds – With our team of developers, we can either further develop your existing site, or in the event of an obsolete platform or site that is riddled with issues, we can re-build your website from scratch. Websites that we can build include non-eCommerce catalogues or service sites, E-Commerce sites (our preferred platform is WooCommerce on the WordPress CMS), Blog sites and any other site that your imagination can conjure!
- Content Creation and Blog Writing – If you are struggling to create content due to in-house time restrictions why not let our team of content writers handle it for you? We can write blogs, product descriptions, category descriptions, pages and ads.
- Ultra-Fast Web Hosting Packages – Our next-generation cloud hosting packages have CDNs in every corner of the globe ensuring that your site is accessible globally at top speed!
- Set-Up, Manage and Optimise PPC Campaigns – We have excellent success in managing Google and Bing Ads to reduce spending, increase your quality scores and get you more clicks for less spending.
Do you think you could benefit from one or more of the above services? Give us a call on 0333 567 5300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out the form below, and we will be glad to learn more about your needs!