Why Set Up A GMB Listing?
When it comes to finding your company online, a well-optimised Google My Business profile is an important part of the equation. Having a GMB listing helps you to be found for area-specific search terms, so is an important part of local SEO. It is free, easy to set up, and allows your company to appear on Google Maps and Google Local Pack Listings within Google Search, adding further visibility in addition to your website’s organic ranking on the SERPs.
Furthermore, reviews on GMB are easy to make, comment on, and like. Not only do customers like reviews, but so does Google as it helps to provide credibility to your product or service.
How To Create A Google My Business Listing
We think that the most important components of your GMB listing are your business address, business hours, business category, and reviews. This is the backbone of all listings that we create. Once your profile is created a Google Maps location is then automatically generated.
If you’re wondering, it is not recommended that you use a GMB listing as your main website. This tool is there to support but shouldn’t be used as a compromise for a website. This said it is logical and undeniable that the more you put into your HQ and branch listings the more you will get out.
A Step By Step Guide To Setting Up A GMB Profile
- Firstly, you will need to conduct a Google search to ensure that your business doesn’t already have a GMB listing. If your business has been around for a while, it is likely there will already be a listing. Once you have claimed your business, you can now begin to manage the information.
- If a listing hasn’t been set up, you can do so pretty quickly. Verification can take longer to complete, but it can usually be done within a few days.
- Start with your official business name and ensure that you find a relevant business category – there are numerous ones there so it should be easy to find the one that best describes your company.
- Now you will need to add the location that your customers can visit. If you cover and serve numerous additional areas, you can add these to your listing too.
- Now you can add your business contact information – including your phone number and website URL.
- Next, add your business opening/closing hours and the address where your head office is based.
- Now we’re ready to verify! This is done via postcard by mail and can take a while to reach you. It’s important to remember that if you don’t verify your business, your changes will not be made public. Once you receive the postcard from Google, enter the code into your GMB listing and your business will then be live.
How To Optimise A GMB Listing
We recommend that you optimise your GMB listing by entering complete data that doesn’t leave anything to be supposed or expected. Make sure that your business products and services are fully explained, and your listing is easy to navigate – including calls to action and links to your website.
Just like conventional website SEO, we recommend that you increase your ranking chances by using keywords within your GMB listing – although be careful not to keyword stuff, or Google will penalise you. The best way to do this is to carry out some keyword research before adding content to your listing to ensure that you have a variety of industry-related search terms.
Always ensure that your business operating hours are up-to-date. We even recommend updating them during public holidays or times when your business will be closed to the public.
Putting substantial time into listing ‘products’ ‘offers’ and ‘posts’ updates – for example, a car dealer could offer mud and snow tyres in autumn – can feel like a lot of boring work but be assured that it is worth it!
Photos and videos are a must as they provide more credibility and personality to your listing and your business. If you have images and videos of your team at work, this will help to create trust with potential customers as they will be able to see your team before committing to using you.
A business with images receives 42% more direct requests and 35% more click-throughs to its website than businesses that don’t use images.
The Power Of Reviews And Trust
Reviews are a brilliant way to attract customer engagement while building trust and credibility within your industry. Ensure that you respond to all reviews, good and bad, to help increase your business’s prominence in search results.
In this day and age, easy access to information is so important to every website user. That’s why we recommend that you allow your customers to message you via GMB. However, this is only available through the Google Business Profile app.
We know that an extra source of communication will probably be a hindrance to most people’s working hours – but ensuring that you are always on hand for your potential customers, may just be what they need to convince them to choose you and not your competitors.
Don’t Forget To Add Links To Your Website
Finally, ensure that you add your products with links to your website, relevant images, and a short product description giving the customer all the information that need as concisely as possible. Take a bit of time with this, and then watch the results come in!
With Google having a colossal percentage of searches via phones and PCs it is very important to come up in proximity to where someone may be searching for your goods or services.
How Can UClimb Help?
If all this seems a little daunting and not quite up your street, don’t worry. Our team are on hand to help anyone at any time. Just give us a call today.